Monday, August 16, 2010

Aiders and Abettors

They're out there - those people in your life who are aware of what you like.
They're like an extra pair of eyes that take notice of something they know you would love. And sometimes, they bring it home to you!
I call them my Aiders & Abettors...


Sometimes my family doesn't "get" me; they seem bemused by my penchant for things that are old and worn, or my desire to use things for something other than what they were intended.  "Getting" me seems to be mostly reserved for a few select friends and, so it seems, a few acquaintances as well.
I suspect it's the same for some of you other creative people out there. 
We see possibilities where others do not; they see junk, trash, things that are well past their prime, they don't see a treasure-in-the-rough.
And when someone I really don't know that well "gets" me, I always feel very honoured (and that I'm possibly not that odd after all - my husband says I'm "quirky") Hmm...

Anyhow, the other day I was surprised with a bag of very icky, dirty, crumpled, rumpled and downright nasty-looking bits of lace. The story was it had been donated to the local Thrift Store who promptly banished it to the garbage, firm in the belief no one would pay a nickle for it. But my friend knew me...
And she presented me with a little pile that would rival anything Pigpen from Charlie Brown could conjure up. I should have taken before pictures but I was too eager to wash it and it was late at night and I am no good with flash and I just had to know if it could be pretty again...


I used my homemade lavender laundry soap, filled the sink with hot water and hoped for the best!
After some gentle agitating by hand, I rinsed the clump thoroughly and then gently disentangled all the bits and pieces. Rather than blotting it in a towel I did the same thing I do with my Hardanger pieces: lay them out on the counter sopping wet and when they are completely dry I peel them off and it's as if they have been ironed!


I really like these little medallions and can all sorts of possibilities for them, especially the square one.


And these would be ideal for those wrist cuffs that are all the rage right now...


I have several of these in each of the two sizes - I've never had a hankering to do a pennant or banner but I think there might be one in my future...

The best part of someone presenting you with a treasure like that is when you can tell by the look on their face and the inflection of their voice that they are truly excited about what they are about to give you. They know, in that truly understanding way of knowing, that you are going to be jumping up and down with glee.

I have been on both sides of that equation (or "occasion", if you like) and I still can't decide which is best!




5 comments:

Pat Winter said...

Thank goodness for us "quirky" people or life would be awfully boring! Lovely lace. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles,Pat....an Aider & Abettor :-)

Becca said...

Oh wow, that lace is beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

sewingseeds4U said...

I know all about those aiders and abetters...they're the same ones who tell me how much I need this or that and how I deserve it...Your gift is just beautiful, a real found treasure. Can't wait to see what you turn it all into. Lucky you! Patty

Diane Kelsey said...

A really god friend. A lucky find!

Diane said...

Isn't it amazing what people throw away! I've bought bags of horribly musty smelling and stained laces and you just wonder why they would have been hidden away in a garage or attic unseen for so long! Sad! But a joy for US! :-)
Great treasures, Jillayne!
Diane