Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Very Good Browse


Yesterday my daughter and I spent a lovely day together, browsing around all sorts of stores from here to Kelowna and back again. I was coming up empty-handed until the last stop; my favourite little antique store in Enderby never fails to offer up a treasure or two...


I was thrilled to find these metal topped bobbins! I have three of a different style that I picked up in Skagway, Alaska in about 1991 or thereabouts and had not had any luck finding any since. Lace, buttons, a little cork-topped jar, vintage postcard and tiny oil can for sewing machines rounded out my purchases.

Today it's back to work for me; I am knee deep in the workroom. I have already hemmed four new linen towels that are now drying in the sunshine (that sizing is darn hard to get out!) and then I decided to tackle this:



I think I am finished with it now but you never know; collage is one of those things that even weeks later you can go back and add more. I think I'll live with it as is, but the Sale isn't until November so it could still undergo a change or two before then.



I had fun with this part - bits of threads from washing fabrics, tiny buttons I swiped from my stash for angels, plus twill tape and lace. Doo-dads, clumpies, rippin' and a-tearin' are all things I have learnt about in the Collage Camp Class. This piece didn't start out with that idea in mind but I'm glad I switched gears, even if only a little bit at a time.

I am still hoping for a couple of more people for the Swap I posted about below this one. So far, Diane of Diane Knott's Musings and Suz of Suztat are on board with one other that is a "maybe". I'm pretty sure most of the visitors to my blog are well aware of what a fantastic artist Diane is and Suz does some of the most beautiful tatting I have ever seen. She has been working on tatted snowflakes... I'm wondering...
So if you are interested, remember - they don't have to be quilted or of any particular technique; 5" square is the criteria and the rest is up to you!

6 comments:

Suztats said...

Ah,gee, Jillayne, I'm blushing! What nice things you say!

Createology said...

Great treasures you acquired. I love your collage and definitely understand the temptation to keep adding to it. Happy creating...

Diane said...

Jillayne, it looks like the day's finds showed up after all! I think the little corked bottle might be an old ink receptacle. It's sweet!
Love the way your "Fleurs" project is turning out. I especially like the way you always use muted colors. Thank you for the compliments...
I'm going to post again right now about your swap idea...!
Diane

Dorthe said...

Hi Jillayne,
thought I wrote you yesterday, but nothing here, so good I came back,today.
I would love to into this little funny swap, if you still needs some?
I laso will tell you again, that I so love your Fleur piece, it is very beautifull, and so
beautifully made,too.
Your little heart is on my blog, dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

Monica@The White Bench said...

Hi Jillayne,
thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment about my quilt.
Your WIP is just darling, and your blog so pretty and inviting! Will definitely be back!
Monica.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

i love this fabric collage!