Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Tea Party and Diane's New Shop!


Today I felt like sewing but the forecast here was for 34 degrees C which is about 94 F - sewing and pressing are not a whole heck of a lot of fun when it's hot and we still do not have insulation in the attic. The top floor where my work room is gets mighty hot late in the day (we have central air, but without insulation, it's a losing battle on the top floor!)
So I got busy first thing this morning and started on this...


I love turkey red with black and brown and although none of these prints are reproduction, they are reminiscent of the 1800s style.


Tonight I will get it layered and tomorrow morning I can quilt and bind it. I like it already but as quilting really does make the quilt I am looking forward to seeing what it looks like all done.

Once it was too hot to be upstairs anymore I thought it might be fun to have a tea party. Three different types of tea were served: Red Rose black tea, Celestial Seasonings True Blueberry and Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry Berry.
And I invited several pieces of lace...


The photo shows the first results: the white lace at the top is an example of just how white it was before dipping, the second piece down was dipped in the True Blueberry, the third down was dipped in Black Cherry Berry and the last one in the Red Rose black tea. 
I had hoped the blueberry tea would give something purplish but instead it's a clear pink while the cherry tea yielded a much softer one, which I had thought might be redder.
Not quite happy, I played some more.


The photo above is white lace on top and then red Rose black tea beneath; this time it was double-dipped but turned out not much different than before.
The next photo shows the same white lace but this time I added some of the black tea to some of the cherry tea and got a lovely brownish-pink, which I love! Too bad the picture doesn't show it off, but I am no photographer. If you click on it you will likely get a better idea of the colour.


And last week the DMC Linen Threads finally arrived and I picked up a few of them - I cannot resist linen in any form it seems.


And last but not least, I finally made it to the scrapbooking store in Vernon and picked up a label stamp I have been wanting for a very long time. I saw it there weeks ago and although I liked the design, I couldn't think what I would do with it. I.am.trying.so.hard.not.to.spend.anymore.money.on.supplies.than.I.absolutely.have.to. 
So, I left it on the shelf and patted myself on the back for showing such discipline.
The next day I knew exactly what I would do with that darn stamp. 

Argh! Twice I made special trips to Vernon (it's a 40 minute drive) and both times the store was closed. Well, dear Reader, I finally got it.
And tomorrow I'll finally get to use it, with my newly-dyed lace and my linen thread.
I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!

And just in case you can't sleep - my friend Diane and her daughter Holly have opened a new Etsy Shop called Cottage By The Pond and they have some pretty fabulous things for sale. Diane has been making pillows and cuffs that are simply stunning (I have one of her cuffs and it is just beautiful!) but they also sell PDF patterns of bags, scarves and nifty little totes.
And they are having a Giveaway so you really must go and take a look! Etsy is a great forum for buying handmade and you won't be disappointed with Diane's beautiful work.
Please, take a look and see for yourself!

7 comments:

Tina Eudora said...

Love the dye experiments, I have done a few of those myself with vegetables and fruits. Cherries and beets were interesting! For greens I have used Comfrey.
I know what you mean about swearing not to spend any more money on supplies...yeah like I can keep that promise!
Have a great evening...
Tina xo

sewingseeds4U said...

The quilt top is beautiful...Will you really have it layered, quilted and bound tomorrow. I'm very impressed. Thanks for the lace experiment. I usually just use what I have on hand (sometimes old coffee in pinch) so it was interesting to see your results. Hmmm...lace and linen thread. Can't wait to see. Patty

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Your quilt is coming along nicely! What a fun experiment with! I'm gonna have to try that some time. ;o)

Thanks so much for your very sweet comment. It really meant a lot to me. You made me smile from ear to ear! :)

Have a good night,
Hugs ~ Jo

Maggie said...

Love your quilt top....is there a pattern that I can purchase...would love to make a runner for myself or for a gift...got to think of xmas you know. You have such wonderful ideas Jill...you keep me motivated every time i read your blog. thank you so much.
Maggie

NanaKaren said...

Good morning! The quilt you show is very interesting to say the least. What is the name of the pattern? Looks like something I'd enjoy sewing up as a runner.

Thanks, Karen

Patty said...

I have enjoyed stopping by your site. The quilt and lace are both lovely.

Martys Fiber Musings said...

Your table runner picture was a-love-at-first-sight-moment. So much so that I'm sharing it on my blog.