Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Last Word

In the heat of the summer I am thinking of winter.
And the reason for that is because of my Sale which will be held at my house at the end of November. The date has already been chosen but I can't remember what it is.
And that's just fine. 
"How can that be fine?" you might ask...
Well, my friends, it's because I have not one, but two managers now.
And it all started with the fine fellows below...


I have had a manager for my Sale ever since the first one held here in Salmon Arm after our big move. In Whitehorse, YT, where it all originated, I managed just fine on my own. (Well, aside from the bootlegging the year I added Cranberry Cordial to the list of offerings - and the tiny detail of the Sale being held in the Yukon Government Leader's house that year. I just had to promise there were no Members of the Opposition invited...)
Anyhow, I digress.

I have a Sale every year but I am not the boss of it - my good friend Glenda is. I am not in charge of what I make or what I name my creations, nor the food I serve, nor the beverages. (For example, if I make Sangria, no kiwi - apparently it goes mushy!). Everything is up for argument - um, I mean, discussion and there is a meeting with beverages prior to the Sale where I am given orders, I mean - direction - as to what would be good sellers based on last year's feedback etc.
Another thing Glenda looks after is the tagging of the items. It's an important task she takes very seriously - that's when we argue about the name, the price and whether or not I will take orders for it if it's in high demand. 
Once everything is tagged, she arranges all of it.
Which brings me to why I now have two managers.
Last year, once everything was all laid out my husband came upstairs to check it all out. "Not enough cute stuff", he declared - "too many quilted things". "What about that snowman thing in your room?"
"Not for sale" I emphatically stated. I had made it for me and used all my favourite bits.

Glenda's ears perked up right away - there were more goods to be had. Off they went to discuss it further and came downstairs with my stacked snowmen in hand, pronouncing it just the thing to add the missing pizzazz with assurances that I was not to worry, I could easily make another for myself.
When the doors opened at 7:30pm, the snowmen were the first item snatched up, with multiple orders for more. 
On the heels of his marketing success, Marc has decided he should be a Co-Manager.

 Him and Glenda are meeting to discuss the merits of serving champagne to attendees, valet parking (it does get a little silly some years), gifts with purchase (I'm ahead of them on that one), mini quiches, a bargain basement for last year's leftovers and of course, how many of the Stacked Snowmen I should make for this year.

There will be no arguing about the name though - I've already christened them "The Abominable Snowmen"!




8 comments:

Diane said...

Loved this post, Jillayne. I started my day out smiling at your story.
Hugs!
Diane

Tina Eudora said...

I wish I could be there for the sale in November it sounds like it will be a lot of fun! The opposition not withstanding, lol!
Tina xo

Suztats said...

I love the snowmen!

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, sounds like you have two great and caring managers, I have one-a very dear friend, --we also argue, make plans, and all you descripe here,-so great with lots of help-from close ones.
I love yoiur stacked snowmen, they are so very cute.
Happy evening to you.
I finished my 5 5inch pieces and will soon send them of to you,dear.
Hugs, Dorthe

Createology said...

Oh how I can relate to your post. I can definitely see how your adorable snowmen got snatched up and ordered...super cute. You are best to just create and reap the rewards after the sale. Happy creating...

scrappingwithsherry1 said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog this morning and sharing in my great news and loving addition to our family. I also appreciate the support and comments more than you know... Sounds like you are going to have quite an event! I wish that I could go.. Location is a little bit of a problem for me though. However, I will be watching your post for pictures and maybe I can attend via your blog. Thanks again~ Sherry F.

marie said...

This sounds like such a wonderful sale and how fun for you to have tow such wonderful managers! I would love to see them in action!

I read Dorthe's comment ~ she's DONE with her squares!!? I better get busy too!

Monica said...

Oh my! Where was I when you created these AMAZING snowmen? I LOVE*LOVE*LOVE them!
xoxo