Sunday, July 4, 2010

If You Want To Dance With Me...


I love the Beatles. And Chuck Berry. 
So when I was thinking of asking if there might be anyone out there that would be interested in joining in on my latest brainwave, well - this is the line that popped into my head first, "If you want to dance with me?"
A song first recorded by Chuck Berry and covered by the Beatles.


I saw this in a past issue of Cloth Paper Scissors and thought it might be a springboard for a fun Christmas project class down at the store. The plan is teach it in two parts, the first being all about foundation and design ideas and the second on embellishment techniques. And from what they have learned, the participants would make enough of these little squares to swap and come away with a unique Christmas/Winter wall hanging. 
The ones in the magazine have a bird theme, which you can see in the close up below.



So, here's what I'm looking for:
I could make all the squares for the sample myself, but I'm not sure people would get a sense of how dynamic and interesting these can be when made by different artists.
I thought perhaps some of you might be interested in a swap where you would make five 5" square "quilts" with a Christmas or Winter theme. (I am calling them quilts for lack of a better word but they don't have to be quilted, or even made of fabric for that matter.)

You'd have to send them to me, to arrive not later than September 6th, I would then swap them all and mail the collections back to each of you.
I would absolutely not be using your design to teach from; it would be shown as inspiration only. I am very particular about copyrights and infringements and your work would be protected; I would just like to be able to show the class participants a piece containing varied work by varied artists.
If you're interested in participating, here's what you need to know:

- the deadline to arrive here in B.C. Canada is Sept. 6

- the "quilts" must be 5" square and of a material that fasteners of some sort can be attached to by the recipients (the samples above have eyelets)

- you can use any technique or materials you like - it does not have to be a "quilt", I just don't know what else to call them

- you would have to make 5 squares for this swap; they can all be the same or different - your choice!

- the theme is Christmas/Winter

If you're interested in playing along, leave a comment letting me know by July 7th, and if you have any questions or concerns let me know that too. I'm kind of making this up as I go so am open to suggestions!

16 comments:

Suztats said...

This sounds like a most interesting idea, and I'd love to participate! Are there any restrictions on the types of materials used?

Lucille said...

Hi Jill

I would love to participate. Am I regarded as an artist as I will be signing up for your class.

Tarnished and Tattered said...

Jillayne,
I am in love with that art quilt & think that is such a terrific idea for a swap. If only I could quilt. I buy CPS & even the Art Quilt mag a lot because I just love it so. Would love to take a class. Your blog is great & I love your art. Lisa
PS Thanks for your comments on my blog, you made me smile bigger than I have in awhile! :)

Diane said...

Jillayne, I LOVE THIS IDEA! I just wrote myself a note and will put it somewhere prominent so I'll pace myself doing this! Yes! I'd love to participate! Just let me know if I should announce it on my blog also!

Thank you for the opportunity!!!!

Diane

Suztats said...

I'm in!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a wonderful idea! I wish I knew how to sew. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt when it's done. :)
Thanks so much for stopping by yesterday, and for your sweet comment about my garden. I sure do appreciate it!!
I hope you have a wonderful day!
~ Jo :)

Thespa said...

I just came by from Diane's blog. This kind of thing is right up my alley. I would love to be included in your swap. I will also post about it, although I know today is the cut off.
Come by and visit my Vintiquities Workshop Blog.
www.vintiquitiesworkshop.blogspot.com

Tina Eudora said...

I'm in Jillayne. I have never done anything like this before (swapping)as I am a bit of an introvert (hard to believe I know)! I already have some really nifty ideas though.
Best of all is the idea of having another artist's work to look at instead of my own. I get way more enjoyment out of hanging someone else's stuff on my walls!
Tina xo

Marcia said...

I really don't have the time for this, but count me in. I will make time. This is something I love to do. Winter, Christmas is my thing for sure. As I get ready for my first show of the season next month, I will work on each piece. I already have one great idea as I am teaching a winter piece in MI the 2nd of Aug. I can't wait to see the finished piece. So YES.....count me in for sure. Hugs, Marcia
PS....came over from Diane's Blog

Appleshoe said...

Hello- Jillayne,
If this is a double post I'm sorry. I followed you over from Diane at http://dianeknottsmusings.blogspot.com/ If you will have me, then count me in. I've never done a swap before and it sounds fun. Applebushel@gmail.com

Nook Cranny Gifts said...

Hello Jillayne,
Please count me in, I much look forward to this project. Gives me a reason to create using winter/Christmas for which is so nice to create using.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Michele

Tess said...

I would love to give this a try. Sounds like fun and a great way to get creative juices flowing. Would you have any idea how long it would take a package to arrive from the U.S. to you? I am thinking maybe have it in thew mail by Sept. 1st or maybe sooner?!
Tess
raven1999 at cox dot net
www.theheartofwords.blogspot.com

Tess said...

I keep all of my CPS mags. Which month/year is this priject from and what pag? I'd love to read it again before starting.
Tess

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jillayne! i just came by from my friend diane's blog and I would love to join in on this swap! I ahve done many swaps and I love doing them and would love to be part of this one. If you already have enough participants I understand but I would love to take part if you are still enrolling! I will be away from my computer till the 22 of July but just send me an e-mail thru my blog or respond to this message and I will get it!!!

FredaB said...

I am interested if I am not too late. Just read about it on Diane's blog.

Please let me know if you want me.

Hugs

FredaB

Patina Marie said...

I'd be interested as well, if it's not too late.

If there's still room, let me know.

Cheers!

Tina