Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Fine Start

Well, for better or worse, I have finally made a start.
I have been thinking long and hard about what to make for the Swap; you probably thought since I was the instigator that I might have had an idea or two prior to the call-out for participants?
Well, you would have thought wrong. No idea, not even a clue. Just a wish to create. And not be alone.
I have learned over the years that over-thinking something does not work for me. At all. So I did what I always do, and left the problem with my brain and thought about something else. 
Sure enough, just as I was settling in to a great, long thought about how I could change my work room around to make it better for how I create, the ideas came. In a flood. Rolling in, one on top of the other, and I felt like I couldn't work fast enough!


I think I have mentioned before I never get the whole vision, right at the start. It is given to me in dribs and drabs - "Do this and it will be smashing!" the voice says. And I reply "Yes, but then what?" "Who cares?" is the response. "Do it and the rest will come."
Kind of like in Field of Dreams.
Annoying as all get out, but I have learned to trust it. 
So I played with my ribbons and this is what I have done so far.


The rose ribbon was a very special one I bought many years ago at a lovely store called The Ribbonry in Portland, Oregon. It is from Italy and was a whopping $36.00 per yard - 8 years ago. It is the most beautiful ribbon I own, and I own very little of it!



I love the little snowman ribbon in this one - I found it in Vancouver this past May and it was pretty tricksy to weave the ribbons and keep some of them showing!


This one is much softer in real life - just cannot take a decent picture for anything and there is only so much photo editing one can do.

So there they are, four bases ready for the next step. I have no clue what the next step is yet as the little voice hasn't yet divulged it. And I have run out of ribbon ideas for the 5th one so heaven knows what divine inspiration I will get for that one.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Several people inquired about the wax I mentioned in my previous post - it's called "Australian Made Natural Bee's Wax Furniture Polish" and this one is "Soft Black Stain". I got it from Cobwebs Antiques in Enderby, B.C.  and they use it to re-condition all the wood items they sell. 

Suztats posted her first Swap piece with a charming little poem so please go check it out.
And Diane was up to three swap pieces posted last time I looked so if you haven't had a gander at them, you must go there too! (I've linked to the latest one so you must look at the rest of her blog to see the others.)

I am adding a Swap Spot to my sidebar and will list all the blogs there for easy access so you can see what everyone is up to.

Me, I'll be waiting for more direction from my Muse... and in the meanwhile, back to my workspace ideas...

9 comments:

Diane said...

Jillayne, what a cool idea for backgrounds! You've taken it a step further already! Can't wait to see what you layer on top!
Diane

Tina Eudora said...

Oh Jillayne I love all the sparkling colors and what a wonderful background to work on although to tell the truth it is a shame to cover any of that color up!
I finally finished the sketches for mine now I have to choose which medium for what, on what, finished with what, lol. Oh and the attaching part, I am not fond of ddoing "grommets", I am going to try something in fabric instead.
Tina xo

MosaicMagpie said...

I love these backgrounds, I made a vest once using this technique. I got lots of compliments on it.
Debbie

sewingseeds4U said...

I love them so far and can't wait to see more. I'm heading over to check out the rest...Patty

Suztats said...

They are gorgeous, Jillayne! What beautiful ribbon! I can't believe you're going to do more--I thought they were perfect as is, but, gee, can't wait to see what you're going to do!

Judy Hartman said...

Jillayne,
I'm fascinated by your "working by inspiration" process! These weavings are beautiful! I really identified with you as you pointed out special ribbons and remembrances of exactly where you were when you bought them. I'm like that with certain fabrics and buttons. There is almost a visceral reaction to them as they are so poignant and lovely. Can't wait to see what you'll do with these.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
they are wonderfull, and like the other sayes,-you don`t have to do more, they are perfect as is-love the golden one with the rose --so gorgeus.
Hugs, Dorthe

marie said...

I love your ribbon backgrounds ~ they're so pretty just as they are. But I can't wait to see what wonderful things you do with them!
I haven't started my pieces yet (except in my head!) But my room is almost done and then I'll be able to get some creating done!

Tess said...

Oh Jillayne these are all so lovely. I like that you have a similar base structure in each one and yet each has it's own look. I especially love the rose ribboned one and the last pale blue one. I have two started and are coming along nicely. I've decided to do 5similar pieces. I must find more winter birds for the next three. I've postd one on my blog. Check it out, I've asked a question and I'd like you to answer it too please. http://theheartofwords.blogspot.com/2010/07/winter-song-almost-finished-this-is-for.html
I lost my "muse" for a while but I think it is coming back slowly but surely. This swap is giving me a focus and helping with the "muse block" LOL! Thank You...
Teresa aka Tess