Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Artful Thursday - Art To Go

Have you ever gone on a road trip and packed up some stitching to take along?
I have. I can't be without a needle in my hand for more than a day or two so I am always planning portable projects for when I am travelling.
Years ago I bought a "Project Pack" which was a small, pre-quilted "tote" that had two side pockets and in which you could stash a project or two to take along.
(I still have it but it's so icky I won't take a picture of it - picture dark blue calico from the 80s!)
In the latest issue of Handcrafted there is a reprint of an article by Rebecca Sower about her portable art studio and I was intrigued. What a great idea - don't pack a specific project, pack supplies and then be creative with what you find when you open the lid.
Just the thing for my Mom and I on our journey north.
So I got on Etsy and found this...

A vintage train case, just the right size, with a key and a working lock no less! (You never know - there might be craft bandits on that long stretch of road)

So I have started filling it with bits and pieces and stuff. The wooden bobbins I found weeks ago are just like the ones Rebecca used for thread in hers - yes, I shamelessly copied that idea! 


I'm not finished yet but then we don't leave for three more weeks; lots of time to add all manner of bits and bobs for sewing fun.
But I did think about how we would store our PHDs (projects half done - sounds like a degree in the making huh?) so I came up with my own version of the 1980s "Project Pack". Of course I had to make one for each of us...


This one's mine (recognize my initial? - that hearkens back to my days as a banker, where your initial is as important as your signature!) The linen is from my barrel diving escapade on Granville Island back in May. The label stamp was put to good use to make the frame for my initials and the bit of lace is from yesterday's misadventures with tea.


And this one is for my Mom:


My crude attempt at a monogram - did I not tell you in a previous post I have issues with art for my Mom that includes printing? I am either ridiculously stubborn or entirely forgetful! Anyway, as always, it really does look much better in person. And since she's my Mom, she'll like it anyway. (It's a Mom Rule - they always like what their kids make.)


So here they are, ready for our PHDs! A pretty nice way to store a project until the next camping spot... and they fit perfectly inside the little train case (finally, math that actually worked!)

9 comments:

sewingseeds4U said...

Very clever idea. I always try to carry something with me on the road but I like the idea of creating as you go. And your right that is definitely a mom rule!

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, I read that wonderfull artickle,too, and love the idea.
You just found the real great piece for storage .Can`t wait to see it finished.
And I must say I`m totally in love with those Project packs,they are lovely, dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

Diane said...

This is cool, Jillayne.
I have an open tote on wheels with pockets all around the outside of it. It has a handle to pull it just like a suitcase on wheels. Naturally it's not easily transported on public transportation, but it's great for when we're traveling in the car.
Hey, we NEED this stuff, don't we! I'm like you, have to take projects!
I even work on them as a passenger in the car while hubby drives. Sometimes those long stretches of familiar roads are boring.
Love the way you are organizing yours! Mine usually ends up being a jumble!
Diane

Marj Talbot said...

Great idea - too bad I gave away the old train case I had. I always take something to work on in case of boredom. Whether it's knitting, crochet, or embroidery/sewing, the case would keep everything safe - I like it!!

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Love your organized studio on the go. Your train case is wonderful. I love to paint those and have several waiting for a redesign.

I also have a studio on wheels that I love and have taken on many a trip. It has places for paints, surfaces, books, brushes and anything else I would need. Then I have one for hand sewing too and keep both ready for in the car and on the go. Like you, I have to be doing something. If I am not painting, I am stitching.

You are so organized and I am a big fan of that, although at times my cases get pretty messy. LOL

I love your project pouches with the initals. So creative and useful at the same time.
Such a talent you are.
Have a wonderul Summer day.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Tiffany said...

Love it all!! I love those amazing wooden dowel things, they are fantastic!!
Very fun~ thanks for sharing!

Becca said...

I love this Jillayne! The wooden bobbins with the thread are fabulous! I have not been able to find any of those in my search, but when I do I'll have to copy you on that one! I was practicing my embroidery stitches while I was on the road, but I didn't have a lovely little container for my supplies. :-)

fireythreads said...

love your continer thought it was an old beauty case or jewellery case to start with. I bought some of those bobbins at a sale last week really love them, have a few others as well. I use them to store my wool on, but love what you have done with them. will have to look up the article you were talking about, always want to start something or try something especially if you see something new thanks while on holidays for the idea

Createology said...

Thank you so much for sharing such great ideas. I love your "PHD" as it definitely seems super important. It is nice to have something handy to work on. I usually crochet or hand sew if the roads aren't winding (YUCK!). Happy creating...