Thursday, July 15, 2010

Artful Discoveries

Last week I was in Chapters and came upon some moleskin notebooks... I have seen many  journal covers over the years but hadn't yet tried my hand...


So the notebooks followed me home and provided inspiration for this week's project. The impetus was a desire to make something for a special friend I will be visiting up in the Yukon next month. 
The collage course I'm taking relies on photo transfers for part of the design which is a bit of a challenge for me as I don't have an ink jet printer - but I do have fabrics with pretty prints!


This will be the bookplate page - I'm not quite finished, thinking about what else I want here...


This is the overleaf of the bookplate page - perhaps a Table of Contents in waiting?


This was a straight-across envelope pocket in it's first life  - I traced a curve with a bowl, cut it along the line, glued some lace along the inside of the curve and then stamped it; not a girly stamp, but still nature-inspired.


Little keepsake envelopes so she can tuck away special treasures.


Not quite finished, but getting there. I like the silver corners and just need to "crimp" them in place. The squares behind the buttons are hand-dyed silk carrier rods. (I need to play with these a lot more!)

I can't honestly say I am very happy with this piece but it's the same old thing with me - I am seeing it for what it isn't rather than what it is. I had higher hopes for it, loftier expectations and so far it hasn't lived up to them. I don't know quite why that is, but it's just left of centre.
Does that happen to you? Big ideas, great inspirations but the workings fall flat?
This is for a special friend who is going through some very troubling times and I wanted it to be something amazing; I think perhaps I was too attached to the outcome.
There is still time though, so I'll put it away for now and let time and distance work their magic, and hope I will one day see it for what it is rather than what it isn't.

9 comments:

Becca said...

I think its beautiful! So inspiring! I can't wait to play this weekend. :-)

Suztats said...

Yes, sometimes what we see in our mind's eye is not what we have created...yet. Coming back to your journal for a fresh look may tell you what else you need to do, if anything. I find that sometimes, dissatisfaction with my art comes just before a breakthrough or a change in direction that takes me to a surprising, but exciting place. I love what you've done so far.

sewingseeds4U said...

I think it is just beautiful and your friend will treasure it I'm sure. I think we all have one thing in our minds and can lose something in the translation. I agree, sometimes putting it away and looking at with fresh eyes seems to help. Kind of like your husband not being able to see the mayonaisse in the fridge and you open it up and poof...it's right there! Enjoy the journey, Patty

MosaicMagpie said...

I love these journals. You have done a beautiful job. Too pretty to write in.
Debbie

Maggie said...

What wonderful ideas you come up with.......your friend will love it....love your blog....
hugs
maggie

Lori Ann C. said...

Sooo pretty!
Thanks for popping by my blog . . and good luck with your pesto!
I love the pic of your kitty sleeping in your studio!

Lori Ann

Diane said...

Jillayne, yes it happens to me! My mind's eye often doesn't translate into 3D! Or even into 2D when I'm painting.
But I think your journal turned out beautifully.
What are the silk things you are talking about?
Is it the spun casings that you've opened up and flattened? I've seen them sold in shops and have been curious about them.
Have a Happy Sunday!
Diane

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh Lovely!!!!I see your journal creation as beautiful! So inpsiring and detailed. Your friend will be so thrilled to receive it from you.
Yes, I can so relate to your saying, sometimes ideas fall flat. I have this happen to me and I think we are our own worst critics most of the time. I feel nothing I do is right or good enough. I think it follows being a perfectionist. I am trying to work on that, but it is a challenge. LOL

To visit your blog is to come and leave filling inspired. Happy Creating and fun visiting your friend.

Thanks for stopping by too and your kind comment.
Have a great week.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Judy Hartman said...

Hi Jillayne,
So happy i discovered your blog! I love this project you are working on. I'm very hard on myself also, but you have nothing to worry about. This journal is a treasure and I have a feeling your friend will be very moved by it. I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Judy