Sunday, June 13, 2010

Swan Court

First of all, a huge thank you to Diane Knott for posting about my blog - the comments and new Followers are welcome and appreciated so very much. I have been absolutely amazed and gratified by the response!

The quilt below is the catalyst for the living room re-do I am about to embark on; I finished it for a quilt show here in Salmon Arm in 1998 and it has yet to be hung! It is my favourite piece of all; favourite in the doing and in the having. 
It is based on an adaptation of Pat Goffette's Shadow Lake, which is an adaptation of Arboretum Swans by Joan Colvin. Joan featured both of those quilts in her book The Nature of Design by Fiber Studio Press and it is my favourite quilting book of all time. Joan passed away a few years ago and the book is out of print but if you are interested in this type of quilting it is worth trying to find a copy.


I apologize for the quality of the photos - once the walls are painted and the quilt is hung I will get better pictures to post!



Joan's aesthetic was to design non-traditional quilt blocks and set them in non-traditional ways to create some very unique quilts. I have made four different quilts of this type (this is the only one I kept) and learned so much from them about working with fabric, print and colour.



This quilt took hours, working on a design wall, and placing and re-placing each and every fabric, then sitting back and looking at it - over and over and over again - until I was cross-eyed! Once I had a section the way I wanted it I sewed it together, preferring to do that kind of work at night when the light wasn't great.
It was a wonderful, thinking process and I am so glad I spent the time on it.
I can't wait to hang it and see it every day!

8 comments:

Diane said...

The quilt is gorgeous, Jillayne! What a unique pattern to use traditional shapes to create swans! And...you're very welcome for the post on my blog. I'm happy to send people here. Your blog is lovely. I particularly love the quilt in your blog banner.
Hope you are having a nice Sunday. I'm working on a coffee dyed crazy quilt pillow top that I started last year and didn't finish.
Hugs,
Diane

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jillayne,
So nice to meet you and visit your wonderful blog. Your quilt is beyond gorgerous. I love the design and hanging it will be amazing to see everyday like you say.

I came this way by my friend Diane's blog. So glad I did and now a happy follower too.
Lovely work.
Have a wonderful day!

Hugs, Celestina Marie

Becca said...

Hi Jillayne, this is such a beautiful quilt. It looks very difficult to make, yet it turned out so beautiful! It also looks very soft. Have a great week. :-)

Debby said...

Hi Jillayne, Your quilt is just so beautiful, love it. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and leaving a nice comment.
Debby

Maggie said...

Just thought I would have a quick look to see what you are up to.....Wow...... what a beautiful quilt.....I'd be quite excited to have it on my wall as well. Take care
Maggie

Lucille Rossouw said...

I love this quilt you made and I am so glad you are going to hang it. Such a beautiful quilt needs to be seen preferably in a Art Gallery.

Dorthe said...

Hi Jillayne,
Thanks for sweet comment,-
Your quilt is a gorgeus work of art, and I`m totally in love with your acorns.
And thanks to you, I`m now waiting for a copy of the book from Kaari Meng. It looked so wonderfull, that I made a wish from a friend of mine,for my soon to come birthday.And I know it is on its way :).
xo Dorthe

Alisa said...

Stunning!!!