Thursday, May 6, 2010

Artful Thursday - A Floral Garden


The sun is out and flowers are blooming, even in my studio!

The other day at work I was re-arranging some things and came upon a stash of little pre-made ribbon flowers. I usually like to make my own but these were pretty cute - and very little - not something my shaking fingers can easily tackle! Jan offered me a few packages to bring home and play with...

So I grabbed some fabric with tiny flowers in pretty colours...



Cut a stack of 1 1/2" squares, and pieced them together to look like this. After it was all pieced, I fused some very lightweight batting to the back and trimmed 1/4" off all four sides with a pinking blade on my rotary cutter.




I chose a matching green embroidery thread and using one strand of floss, quilted diagonally through all the squares. I did this by hand, but if you want a well-defined quilting pattern you should do it by machine.




Centre on your card front (these are pre-made but you can easily make your own from any colour card-stock) and attach it with either a glue stick or double-sided tape. Glue a little ribbon rose in each corner and that's it!





The little oval medallion in the centre (photo at top) has a "punched" centre and I free-cut the outer white oval from card-stock. I used a glue stick to hold them together and then attached that to the centre of the "quilt" with glue as well.

And there it is, a quilted and be-ribboned flower garden that will bloom for a very long time!

3 comments:

Kristal said...

Hi Jillayne,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Glad to see you joining in Artful Thursday! I will definitely be hanging around your blog, I have become obsessed with the quiltmaking process and don't have a CLUE to what the heck I'm doing!! LOL!!! Love, love your creation for the week!!!

XoXo,
Kristal

tamdoll said...

This is so pretty, I love your quilting and what a great idea to make it into a card. Much less intimidating than making an entire quilt!

paperbird said...

beautiful idea- this would be so fun to do.