Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday = Creativity!


Since I cleaned up my Stock Room, er - Sewing Room, I have been feeling very creative. I was afraid it would be the other way around and although I have had a hard time finding a few things since the big reorganization, I am really liking the orderliness of it!

A few weeks ago I mixed up some homemade laundry soap and today I decided to come up with a pretty little bag for it. I want to be able to give it as gifts, and perhaps sell some at my Sale this fall so I need something to dress it up; it is after all laundry soap.

Below is the front panel...



I cut out a centre rectangle in a light fabric, traced an oval using a wash-out marker and then using a Pigma 05 pen in green I wrote "Lavande" all around it. (Lavande seems so much more elegant than Laundry) Rinse off the wash-out marker and iron dry. I added simple borders to all four sides, fused a piece of very light interfacing to the back and then stitched a Cretan stitch over the seams using two strands of DMC . Tiny little buttons were sewn in each corner and a straw flower was couched down in the centre.

Cut out a back and two lining pieces the same size as the front; set the lining pieces aside for now. Sew the front and back together, right sides facing, leaving the top open. Clip the bottom corners to reduce bulk and turn right side out.

Cut a top "cuff" 2" by the circumference of your bag plus 1/2" for the seam allowances (all seams are 1/4" unless otherwise stated). I tore the the top edge of my strip for a raggedy look. Fold in half across the width, right sides facing and sew the short sides together. Slide this cuff over the outside bag, right sides together, matching the raw edges at the top (the torn edge should be at the bottom). Sew with a 1/8" seam allowance.


Place the two lining pieces together, right sides facing and sew down one side, across the bottom and up the other side, leaving a 2" opening along one side. Clip the bottom corners. Slide the lining over top of the bag-cuff unit, right sides together and sew all around the top with a 1/4" seam. Pull the bag out through the opening and then pull the lining piece straight up; press and sew opening closed.



Push the lining section down into the bag, ensuring the corners are pushed out. Pull the torn edge of the cuff up and press in place.


I put the laundry soap in a baggie and then into the fabric bag and tied the top with with a twisted cord and a torn fabric strip.

Now if only the laundry room was this pretty!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Lovely!

Diane said...

Jillayne, thank you for linking me to this. It's sweet! Did you also quilt the piece under it?
Diane