Tuesday, April 27, 2010

On Being seven and Learning to Craft...

This story actually begins a little earlier than age 7 - my Mom would likely better be able to pinpoint the right year but I make it about 1965, when I was four. We were going to our cabin at the lake with my grandparents and whilst everyone was busy loading up the cars I was occupied at the kitchen table table pasting things. I don't remember exactly what I was pasting but I remember the process well - homemade flour-and-water glue and a brush. The glue was still warm from being made with warm water and even though I had a brush I couldn't resist sticking my fingers in it when no one was looking.

When it came time to leave I was adamant I couldn't leave my glue behind. Looks were exchanged over my head and I don't remember whether it was my Mother or Grandmother, but one of them produced a small glass jar with a little glass lid, my glue was scraped into it and off we went.

We made glue in that little pot for several years and I still have it although now it holds rosebuds and lavender and sits on my dresser...



A charming reminder of a happy childhood activity.

By the time I was seven the glue pot had made way for learning new crafting techniques: to sew fabric pieces together in a first attempt at quilting, learning traditional bead work from my best friend's native Grandmother and knitting. I still remember that first attempt at knitting a scarf - the yarn was a deep purple, the knitting needles were hospital green and I dropped more stitches than I carried. I ripped it out and started over many times but never did finish it.

After the last Demo Friday I got to cleaning up my sewing room and found a dishcloth I had started knitting many years ago and thought of that earlier project. I decided right then to finish the dishcloth and last night I used it for the first time - and what a pleasure that was. It is a beautiful golden brown colour and so easy to wring out! I was so happy about finishing it that I sat down after and made this...



A small scarf, perfect for a little snowman! I am determined to change my ways and start finishing things. But perhaps the best way to achieve that goal is by making miniatures...

No comments: