Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Flying Free

We lost someone today ... my daughter's boyfriend's mother Sina passed away after fighting the good fight. Quite the label I just gave her but of course she was so much more than that. I met her once, at Thanksgiving in Calgary several years ago and we shared turkey and wine and stories.

I liked her frankness, admired her spunk, thought highly of her ability to raise three fine children but I had known I would like her even before I met her because I heard she was a quilter.

She sent me a scrap of fabric once to see if any of the stores around here might have it - many quilters ask such favours - but when I told her none of the local shops had it she wanted me to stop looking. "Not worth wasting time on" she said, but I protested. Kamloops, Vernon, and Kelowna all had shops and if she could wait a week or two I would be happy to check them all - you see I know all about looking for more of the perfect fabric and I was happy to take the time. But she said no because it was her time that would be wasted, not mine. She had another fabric that would be fine and it was more important to finish this quilt for her child; they would never care whether or not it had the perfect fabric, they would care that it had been made for them by the perfect person.

This morning, before I knew she had passed away, I read this poem on another blog and thought it was so beautiful:

There is a place I call my own
Where I can stand by the sea
And look beyond the things I've known
And dream that I might be free

Like a bird above the trees
Gliding gently on the breeze
I wish that all my life I'd be
Without a care and flying free

But life is not a distant sky
Without a cloud, without rain
And I can never hope that I
Can travel on without pain

Time goes swiftly on it's way
All too soon we've lost today
I cannot wait for skies of blue
Or dream so long
That life is through

So life's a song that I must sing, a gift of love I must share
And when I see the joy it brings, my spirits soar through the air
Like that bird up in the sky, life has taught me how to fly

For now I know what I can be

And now my heart is flying free...

* * * * *


No comments: