Thursday, April 15, 2010

Artful Thursday - The Sequel


The days and weeks are flying by and here we are at another Artful Thursday.

Many years ago in Victoria Magazine they did a feature on a tag artist, in fact, I think she was the first, or one of the first Artists-In-Residence for the magazine. Though her little tags were beautiful in their simplicity, other artists have expanded on tags as an art form and it is amazing to see what people do with them. And I wanted to play too...

I haven't seen many out of fabric; most are manila tags that are tea, coffee or vanilla stained (sometimes a combination) and then embellished in many different ways. I wanted to play with fabric though and since I wanted my tag to be elegant I chose a piece of fabric that looks like lace.

A ruched linen flower, a snippet of "Merci" ribbon, a copper eyelet, some black grosgrain ribbon and a beautiful decorative brad and I had this:


My tag is about 3" wide by 6" long. I fused interfacing to the wrong side of the front fabric, layered it with batting and then another piece of the lace fabric and stitched around the edge with black thread. The edges are then pinked , another piece of fabric fused to the front for contrast and my ruched linen flower is tacked down through all the layers. The "Merci" ribbon is folded in half and attached with a large brad.

For the top detail, fuse a piece of contrasting fabric and add an eyelet. The ribbon is cut about 8" and then looped through. I am writing my note on another piece of muslin and that will get fused to the back - I just haven't found quite the right quote yet.

Don't you think this would be a pretty way to say "Thank-You" to someone special?

3 comments:

paperbird said...

I love your tag- the flower is so lovely. I bought a necklace in paris that had about eight flowers like yours sewn on a ribbon. It was so pretty. I gave it to my daughter-in-law but I want to make one for myself so your project is fantastic. Thank you for the sweet comment about my painting- it made me really happy!

paperbird said...

I am feeling a little slow and I am not understanding the directions for the ruche linen flower- when you have time could you email me directions for the slow girl! paperbird@ymail.com

Jackie Higgs said...

I just loved the " Merci " tag looks so Victorian and just.. well so charming. I can hardly wait to see what quotation you find for the back of the thank you tag??
signed, waiting " Sleepless in Salmon Arm " { just kidding } :}