Thursday, March 18, 2010

Progress - Artful Thursday Part Two

So the "artist" got the idea and now the "technician" gets to figure it out and make it work...

I decided on three pockets: one for the glue-brush, one for a pair of scissors and multi pocket panel that would hold several small tools; likely someplace for needles too, but I'll figure that out later. I can only deal with so much at once!

Glue-brush pocket cut 3 1/4" x 14" ( finish 3 1/4" x 7")
Scissor pocket cut 4 3/4" x 11" (finishes 4 3/4" x 5 1/2" )
Multi pocket cut 10 1/2" x 11" (finishes 10 1/2" x 5 1/2")

I will use the old "fold 'em in half across the width,right sides together and sew around the three sides" technique, remembering of course to leave an opening along one side of each pocket for turning. This works really well and the opening gets stitched shut when the pockets are sewn on to the base.

Below is a picture of the three completed pockets being placed. I wanted them 1 1/2" up from the bottom edge so placed my long ruler at that edge, lining up the 1 1/2" line with the edge of the base. The pockets are then easily pinned in place, nice and level!

Sew in place and be sure to use a walking or even-feed foot to prevent shifting.


To decide how big to make each each slot in the multi-pocket, place the first tool in the pocket to the far right. Lay your ruler to the left, using the lines on the ruler to ensure you are "square". Draw a line, stitch. Repeat for the remaining tools.


I decided to pretty it up so I did herringbone, blanket and backstitch along the seams using two strands of dark green embroidery thread. (Four strands for the backstitch).

Next was to work out something for needles and pins. I didn't particularly want to add more bulk by making a stuffed pincushion so I cut a piece of wool felt 2" deep and long enough to look balanced in it's intended place above the multi-pocket. I glue basted very lightly along the sides and the bottom and left the top edge free. The blanket stitch is two strands of DMC embroidery thread, begin at the top left corner and stitch down the side, across the bottom and back up the other side, going through all layers in order to attach as a pocket. Then I blanket stitched across the top going through the felt only to reinforce it and unify the look.

Needles and pins can be kept in the pocket, or slid into the felt singly - just be sure they are vertical and not horizontal or rolling this up could hurt!


The two little bone rings were given to me years ago by a friend - I thought they might be perfect to loop thread on to now and again.


This is the bias binding so now all that is left to do is layer it up, attach them together somehow or other, bind it and sort out what I want to tie it with.

I guess there will be a Part Three!

2 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

The bone rings are a neat idea and could also be used in needle wallets and journals.

Just curious - what is the rationale that you use to decide on 2, 3, or 4 strands of floss?

Looking forward to part 3.

Jillayne said...

I usually decide based on four things:
- how heavy or lacey I want the stitches to appear (viewing distance is important)
-whether or not I want to cover a seam, which takes more strands
- the thickness of what I am stitching through - if I have to use a big needle just to get through I like more strands rather than less so you don't notice the holes)
- how much of the thread I have
Hope that makes sense!