Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Very Best Friend


So, I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I did a lot of needlework before I ventured into quilting.

Today's heart and love-themed words come from a small needle book I designed for one of my very first teaching classes. It features both Counted Thread and Pulled Thread stitches with picots (the little bumps along the edges) and is stitched with silk and linen threads on linen fabric.



This little needle book is very special to me for many reasons: it is useful, it was my first design, it was my first full day teaching class, it incorporates some of my favourite stitches, the silk threads have the loveliest sheen, there is a lovely, tiny pink heart, but most of all, it has one of my favourite verses on it.



The poem is by Louise J. Kirkwood and it perfectly describes my feelings for the needle. It has been my best friend for the better part of my life and I would be lost without it.

Is it the same for you?

No comments: