Thursday, January 28, 2010

Artist Date

Several years ago I read the book "Simple Abundance" by Sarah ban Breathnach and it changed me. I have always thought of myself as a "present" person but what I have neglected to do is really take the time for the things that make ordinary days special.

One of her suggestions is a weekly Artist Date with yourself. You make a plan to do something special; it may have intrigued you for a long time, or it may be a new fascination... doesn't matter. The idea is you make a plan and take the time.

This Saturday will be my first Artist Date with myself. And I am going to play with papier mache. And I am very excited about it. Because I can make a mess!

But before that I have one thing to finish:

This is a runner I started for a special project that has been waylaid by many other special projects. As soon as I finish it I will post pictures that show all of it but for now this is a teaser. For those of you familiar with my work, this is another example of me determined to combine needlework and quilting!

And, in the vein of playing with look of the blog, I have returned to something resembling the normal layout - the grey was a little too grey...

By the way, do you say "grey" or "gray"? My husband swears I am crazy but I think "grey" is softer because it is said with a short vowel, whereas "gray" has a long vowel sound that makes it somehow stronger.

So, are you "grey" or "gray"? Leave a comment and tell which you are. On Monday February 1st I will put all the comments in a hat and draw for the Interlaced Token quilt shown a post or two back. It is now finished, complete with a bow and a tag (I'll post a picture of the finished quilt tomorrow night) and so you can have a chance to win it.

If you don't wish to sign up as a Follower, post your comment as Anonymous and put your name in the text of your comment - Tuesday I'll announce the winner and you can then send me the info so I can mail it to you.

So, grey or gray? (And no, only hairdresser's don't know for sure!)

Good Luck, Jill

2 comments:

Lucille said...

I am a grey girl. I love your flower table runner you are working on. I love the hand stitching on it. Can't wait to see it at the Demo

Marj Talbot said...

I vote for GREY.

It is rainy/snowy and foggy therefore a GRAY day.

Fabric is a totally different thing. To choose a lovely GREY is a wonderfull thing.

I am for GREY.