Friday, December 4, 2009

Time For Me!

The Sale is over and I only have two classes left so am thinking ahead to what would I like to work on for no other reason but that it interests me ... it is a very long time since I have had the luxury of doing that!

The photo below is of a project I started many years ago that is beckoning again. It has been so long I have forgotten the details of what I was planning for it but usually I find as I am drawn back in, memory clicks and I will remember most of what I had intended. Doesn't mean I won't decide to do something different though. I have learnt a few things along the way that may wiggle their way into the design!


This is going to be a small wall hanging that is inspired by the beach we used to go to when I was a child. My family had a cabin there and my favourite thing to do was go beach combing. I would collect sand, shells, driftwood, and seaweed, along with feathers (which had to be hidden as my mother was certain they harboured all manner of disease and germs!) and all of those things are what was inspiring me when I began and still speak to me now.

I think I set it aside because I had got as far as I was sure about what I wanted, and then hit a dead end - where to go next? I didn't want to make a mistake because I really liked this piece and didn't want to wreck it. Ever had that happen - you start out with something that is proving to be stunning, and the further you get the more afraid you are of messing the whole thing up? This has been my first experience with that feeling and I must say, it makes me a bit uncomfortable!

But I am ready now and so the decks have been cleared, room somewhat in order, and I am ready to re-acquaint myself with an old friend.

No comments: