Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Snowmen That Ski?

I think my favourite part of Christmas is the tree. I love decorating it; it takes me a long time because I think about the placement of each and every ornament. I like creating little "pockets" in the tree where you can tuck in just the right ornament and the lights are just so - the effect can be magical!

And, as the tree is my favourite element, it follows that making ornaments for it is one of my favourite things to do. The little fellow below was made about six years ago and he has had his special place on the tree ever since. The skis are made from pipe cleaners that have strips of torn, tea-dyed muslin alternating with strips of torn red fabric, wound around and around and around until I was almost dizzy and hopelessly tangled! But I wanted the raggedy effect and that was the only way I was going to get it!

I didn't intend for his one arm to raise up like he is waving out from his perch - it just went that way of it's own accord. He was supposed to be holding little ski poles but I was late getting him to this stage and so he has gone without - every year I think I should make and attach them but don't seem to get around to it before it is time to pack the decorations away for another year.

I think he might just look hilarious with them so perhaps this will be the year!

No comments: