Monday, December 14, 2009

Inspiration Inspires!

I have been so busy teaching this Fall I forgot to think about what I wanted to teach in the New Year ... and of course, just as I am finishing up my last class, the questions start ... What are the classes we can put you on the schedule for?"

Yikes!!

All I could think of were technique classes (which are of course my all-time favourite ones, hands down) - there were no projects that could get me to even think of turning them into a class. Until I looked at Rebecca Sower's blog (check out my "Blogs I Follow" list) and thought it was high time I made a quilted art journal for myself.

Years ago I took a few book binding courses and have dabbled in it from time to time. I love books and the idea of making them fascinates me even more than quilting does - Surprised? I was.

Anyway, I started thinking about what I would want to record in a journal of my own and decided what had always held me back before was wondering how I would make a journal that would allow me to incorporate writing, drawing and sewing all at the same time. Today I had the "Aha" moment.

My journal will have paper signatures (as all good books do), but they will be interspersed with fabric ones. It took a bit of thinking but I am now half-way through making my first fabric pages and so far I am exceedingly happy - no, that's not right - I am bloody gleeful about how well it's turning out. If this all works out like I think it could I will be downright thrilled.

Tomorrow I will post pictures....

No comments: