Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

For most people the last day of the year is almost always a time for reflection and I am no different.

I have been thinking a lot in the past few weeks about what really matters to me, and, what doesn't. I have come to the realization that I spend an inordinate amount of time doing things that are of no real interest to me, they don't "speak" to me - and I don't "speak" through them. Now if they were the building blocks that would provide me with the needed skills to create something that was of interest that would be different. But invariably they are not.

So I am breaking my resolution of thirty some odd years ago (in a moment of teen age smart alec-ness I resolved not to make New Year's resolutions - and I did a bang-up job of keeping it all these years too!) and I am wading into the world of self-improvement.

I am resolving to spend more time making things that are not for sale, to creating more things of my own design, and to learning some new techniques. I have a plan, not a clear one, but it's a start. In the next few days I will define it more, set myself a schedule and begin. I am excited about a disciplined approach - it seems at odds with creativity but I am beginning to understand that in some areas and in low doses, organization may be beneficial. At least I am willing to give it a try.

Now I just have to unearth my Daily Planner!


No comments: