Saturday, September 26, 2009

Beginnings and Endings

It is often said Spring is for beginnings; for me though, it's Fall. When the days still have summer's heat but the nights are cool and the air seems fresher. When the leaves start to fall from the trees and you sense the world is getting ready to sleep. This is my time for beginnings!

I have noticed over the years that in quilting there seems to be a penchant for finishing things; many guilds and groups have either UFO, or the newer acronym PHD, contests to encourage their members to finish projects of varying ages. Most quilters have several projects in various stages of completion and many express concern over getting things finished. Some even go so far as to complain about being stressed out over all their incomplete projects!

Well, as far as I am concerned, being finished is highly over-rated!

I absolutely love starting a new project; looking through pattern books, sketching a quick design on graph paper, sifting through piles of fabric searching for just the right fabrics to tell the story and eventually, hopefully, realizing a trip to the local quilt shop is in order. For me there is nothing quite like the prospect of a new project.

And with some, the excitement wears off. If the piecing or applique becomes a drudgery I will set it aside and wait until I am "bitten" with it again. If it's my own design and I have come to an impasse and am not sure where to go next, I put it away. Not always out of sight, but out of reach. And while I am working on my next new project, I will look over occasionally and think about it. Eventually an idea sparks or the will to continue takes over and I take it up again. Eventually it will be finished but I am in no hurry. (It's not as if the Good Quilting Fairy is going to come along and do it for me - it will still be there when I am ready!)

You see for me, it's all about the process. I love the making of things, the figuring it out and while I enjoy a finished product as much as anyone, I quilt for the love of doing it, not having it.

And so, here is the start of my next new project!




Happy Beginnings to You!

No comments: